We're hiring - R&D Technical Consultant
R&D Technical Consultant
The Momentum Group is an independently owned professional tax advisory firm headquartered in Bangor, Northern Ireland servicing clients throughout the UK and ROI.
We help businesses across the island of Ireland and GB to navigate their way through the government supported R&D Tax Credits, Capital Allowance and Land Remediation Relief initiatives.
Since 2009, Momentum has worked with some of the largest names in manufacturing, engineering and technology services throughout the UK and Ireland.
As we continue to grow our business, we are seeking to recruit a technically minded consultant with c.5 or more years business experience to support the growth of our business.
About the team and culture
Momentum was founded in 2009 and is recognised as a market-leading specialist in the R&D Tax Credits sector. Whilst our work is a mix of office based, on site with clients, and flexible home working, we are a closely-knit team, and we are looking for someone who will thrive in and add value to our organisational culture.
If the following statements resonate with you, please keep reading:
- Be entrepreneurial - take ownership of your projects, drive them forward, deliver results for our clients and be aware of where new business opportunities may be.
- Raise the bar - we aim to set the standard by working smart and delivering a great experience;
- Help each other - we genuinely help others to shine and be amazing. No room for egos;
- Be professional and ethical - we focus on doing the best job we can in a courteous, respectful and professional manner, ensuring all work is ethically compiled in line with legislation; and
- Customer focussed – develop effective, personal and long-lasting relationships with our Clients
In the role of an R&D Technical Consultant, you will report to our Technical Director and work in collaboration with your fellow Technical Consultants and Chartered Accountants.
About the role
This role, whilst technical in nature, requires a consultancy approach blended with basic financial knowledge. You will be responsible for taking ownership and delivering against your own project portfolio, which will align to your own business interests and experiences.
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary client-facing team, that truly values an entrepreneurial mindset and encourages each team member to own their outputs.
As a Technical R&D Consultant, you will:
- Meet clients face-to-face;
- Explore in depth the projects your clients have been undertaking
- Determine if these projects qualify for the R&D Tax Credit scheme in line with current Government legislation and guidelines.
- Establish all costs associated with qualifying R&D projects.
- Write compelling technical reports that illustrate the R&D work our Clients undertake.
- Manage a portfolio of clients that meet the Company’s objectives
This role is ideally suited for someone who wants to make use of their technical and business expertise and apply it to a more client facing role within a fast-growing professional company.
A key requirement is the ability to translate complex technical information into a coherent and professional report and be able to communicate same to a broad range of stakeholders.
You will have the opportunity to work with highly skilled and experienced business owners, directors, senior management and technical teams whilst witnessing the latest innovations.
Consider the below job description a starting point for your role:
- You manage a variety of client projects
- You demonstrate and apply know-how and consultancy, backed up by significant relevant prior experience;
- You may have acted as a credible Client Lead for a variety of organisation types ranging from small family run SMEs to large complex organisations;
- You can translate client conversations into precisely worded technical reports;
- You have a sound grasp of the core financial aspects of business operations and project costings;
- You are methodical, detailed and analytical in your approach;
- You maintain high standards of communication and presentation, and are comfortable communicating at C-Suite level;
- You are enthusiastic about growing and expanding our professional services offerings;
- You contribute to business development;
- You can identify and follow through on up-sell opportunities;
- You build long-term strategic client collaborations
- You build expertise and share this with your colleagues (they will return the favour)
- You can create differentiating content (case studies, toolsets, experiences and lessons learnt); and
- You consistently share expertise within the company.
You should have:
- An academic background in Business/Design/Innovation/Engineering/ or equivalent work experience in these areas, or the field of business Consultancy;
- Experience in helping add value to SME businesses;
- Experience of managing projects, and are familiar with common project management methodologies;
- Strong analytical skills and can both understand and challenge new ideas, on-the-spot;
- An excellent command of the written language and can demonstrate experience of professional report writing;
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Exemplar communication skills and can easily build trust and rapport with new people.
You should be:
- Tech savvy and interested in new and emerging technologies;
- Curious about and aware of the fields of science, technology and innovation;
- Able to formulate your own opinion, backed up with arguments and confidence;
- Able to keep a cool head and adapt when last-minute changes are needed;
- Able to bring structure and can manage progress in delivering R&D claims or other projects.
- Focus on getting the job done and don’t procrastinate.
- Have what it takes to thrive in our team: eagerness to learn, an open mindset, a team spirit, an entrepreneurial attitude and a ‘raise-the-bar’ mentality;
Nice to have: you have business experience in the client-side consulting arena.
Benefits - Why work at Momentum?
What do we offer?
- Variety in client work with the opportunity to engage with and visit clients across a range of sectors and find out the innovative practices that the company has been working on.
- An entrepreneurial working environment and an opportunity for you to contribute to our overall business strategies and growth;
- The opportunity to create positive change in organisation;
- A competitive package, bonus structure and healthcare
- A flexible, fair but firm approach
- A professional but fun environment to be involved in
The hiring process in a nutshell:
- Submit your CV and covering letter to us by Friday 5 November 2021 at 3pm to Tom Verner, MD,email@example.com.
- Shortlisting will be carried out from your CV.
- After shortlisting, you will be invited to a short screening video-call with our Managing Director and Technical Director.
- Further to the screening call, we will invite suitable applicants for assessment and interview.
If you would like more information on this role, do not hesitate to contact Tom Verner, Managing Director, by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All conversations will be held in the strictest confidence.